LLTI Archives

January 2001, Week 4

From:
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 14:07:13 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "JEFFREY J. HAYDEN" <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------

On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Marlene Johnshoy wrote:

> Have any of you ever embedded Chinese fonts in a pdf file?

Embedding of CJK and any other double-byte fonts are not possible in
Acrobat.  See below.

> If you have, I need some help.  I'm working with Acrobat 4 on a Mac
> and I have installed all the Asian font pack stuff and am using the
> Distiller, but I can't get the fonts to embed.  It may be a font type
> problem, but the fonts I am using I downloaded from Adobe. This is
> message I am getting):
>=20
> =09specified by a font is missing or corrupted."
>=20
> And in the Document Info - Fonts in the Reader, it does not say
> anything about the Chinese font, so it is not getting embedded.

In the Acrobat Guide it says

=09Embedding fonts in PDF files PDFWriter can embed Roman Type 1,
=09TrueType, and base fonts (Windows only) in a PDF file. This
=09ensures that the original font is used for display and printing on
=09computers that do not have the font installed. Adobe Type Manager
=09(ATM) must be installed and loaded as a control panel for
=09PDFWriter to be able to embed Type 1 fonts. PDFWriter cannot embed
=09Asian fonts.

and

=09If you do not embed fonts in a PDF file and a user opens the file
=09on a system that does not have the file's fonts, Acrobat
=09temporarily substitutes fonts. For Roman text, Acrobat uses serif
=09and sans serif Multiple Master fonts to simulate the original
=09font. For Asian text, Acrobat uses fonts from the installed Asian
=09Language Kit or from similar fonts on the user's system. (See
=09About font embedding and substitution for an example.) If you
=09embed a font and the user has that font on their system, they can
=09edit the text in the PDF file.

For the error message, make sure that the Asian Font Packs installed into
the Acrobat > Resource > folders and not just the into the Reader >
Resource> folders.  You need to make the Asian Font Pack resources
available to each application separately (usually done by copying files
over).

You basically have two options:

=091. Generate the PDF files with PDFWriter (I would imagine that
=09   Distiller would do the same thing, but maybe not) and make sure
=09   that your recipipient's are running Reader 4.0.5 with whichever
=09   Font Pack the coding for which you happen to be using.

=092. Get James Walker's PrintToPDF=20
=09   [ http://www.jwwalker.com/pages/pdf.html ]
=09   a shareware (US$20) print driver that creates PDF files and has
=09   the option for generating any font into a bitmap image, the
=09   resulting file being readable even in Reader 3.x without any of
=09   the Asian Font Packs.

If you have any other questions about generating PDF files with Asian
languages, let me know, I do it all the time.

=09=09=09=09=09Jeffrey

?=09?=09?=09?=09?=09?=09?=09?=09?=09?
=09=09=09    Jeffrey J. Hayden
=09=09=09     (=CD=F5=C1=FA=BE=D4/=A4=FD=C0s=BEs)

Department of East Asian=09=09=09=09   Moore Hall 382
Languages and Literatures=09=09=09      1890 East-West Road
University of Hawai'i at Manoa=09=09=09       Honolulu, HI 96822

eFax:  413 - 487 - 0389

[log in to unmask] http://www2.hawaii.edu/~jeffrey

If you shoot for the stars and hit the moon, it's okay.
But you've got to shoot for something."
- Robert Townsend

!=09!=09!=09!=09!=09!=09!=09!=09!=09!