LLTI Archives

January 2001, Week 4

From:
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 08:41:05 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Lucinda Miller <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------
> Other than Iomega's RecordIt, HyperCard's audio tools, and Sound
> Recorder, does anyone know of an inexpensive audio recording program
> for the Mac (for microphone input)?
>
> Thanks,
> Bernd Conrad
> Northern Arizona University
> --

How about SimpleSound, which comes with the computer?

We got Peak LE for an educational price of $49.00.  I haven't used
it much up to now but may switch if I can't find a way around my
problems with SoundEdit 16.

I have been using various incarnations of SoundEdit for more than 10
years, and liked it better than anything else I have tried.  But on
my new G4, which came with system 9.0.4, SoundEdit quits unless the
sound control panel is set NOT to "Play sound through output device."
Which means you can't monitor the input to the computer and hear
what you're recording!  Does anybody know a way around this besides
Y-ing the output of the mixer or tape player I'm recording from?

I checked Macromedia's web site, which basically said it hadn't heard
of any problems with SoundEdit 16 and System 9, but if there were, too
bad, because they weren't going to upgrade it.  I am paraphrasing, of
course.

Back to the original subject, SoundEdit isn't cheap, but it's not
outrageously expensive if you can find an educational discount version,
and if you're speaking into a microphone rather than recording people
in a sound-proof booth, you wouldn't need to monitor the input.

--

Lucinda Miller, audio coordinator
Indiana University Language and Computer Laboratories