LLTI Archives

January 2001, Week 4

From:
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 08:27:43 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Kirk Anderson <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 22:54:21 -0500
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: Kirk Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: an all-digital Mac LL ?

Our Sony 5510 language lab, installed in 1988,
is getting long in the tooth (read: failing)
and we are looking at the options for a replacement.

What I've been able to ascertain so far is that
a preference for the Macintosh platform is a real
liability here: neither Tandberg nor Sony nor
CAN-8 offer an all-digital solution for a Mac lab.

Mac's Network Assistant apparently permits many
of the functions of those three systems,
but alas the distribution of a video feed isn't
one of them, and that's not something
we are willing to pass up.

This is frustrating for a Macintosh advocate,
as the video and audio capabilities of any
recent Mac are better than adequate.

It's no secret that Wintel machines outnumber
Macs by something like a 10/1 margin in the world
at large, but the Mac OS has held its own in educational
institutions, especially over the past 3 years.
So I'm disappointed that none of the three companies
I mentioned recognizes this.

If assembling a true digital lab with Macs means
piecing together a host of 3rd party hardware and
software packages, well, then it's just not worth it.
Our language lab doesn't have a full-time technical
support team!

So...  is there something I've overlooked? I hope so.

thanks in advance,

Kirk Anderson
Dept of French Studies
Wheaton College MA