LLTI Archives

January 2001, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 10:17:34 EST
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] ---

>Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 13:18:30 -0600 (CST)
>From: [log in to unmask]
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: accents in e-mail

I have noticed that Eudora (on My MAC) interprets fewer and fewer
accented messages correctly as time goes on.  One thing I am
beginning to notice is that it has trouble with web-based mail. The
accented letters are contorted, wether they come from Hotmail, Yahoo,
my commercial ISP or even our own university's web-based mail.  I
asked someone in the computer center with a PC to check this out.  He
gets the same results.  I seem to be picking accents up fine in all
of my web-based mail, but web-based mail that can do all that Eudora
can do is slow for me most of the time, on a connection that averages
48.2.

I am teaching an online course, so I need to make sure I can receive
accented material by e-mail with no trouble...especially now that I
have worked so hard to teach these students to accent letters with
MACs and
PCs.

Where should I start

TBob