LLTI Archives

January 2001, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 09:17:47 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Karl Fisher <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 09:43:02 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Karl Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5897.1 question about digitizing audio (!)

------------------
Dear Denise and LLTI,

I've been working a lot with digitized audio and can offer this advice.

1. MP3 is the best compressed audio format.

2. One should capture sound as WAVE files at 44 kHz with no compression and
then convert them to MP3. You don't save much disk space by decreasing the
sampling rate or compressing before converting, but you lose sound quality.
(I am using SoundEdit 16 for capturing and SoundJam for compression, both
for Mac. There are similar solutions for PC.)

3.  The very best way to get the sound out of the computer is to use a
program like CD-CREATOR with a CD-READ/WRITE drive and print the desired
tracks onto an audio CD. CD-CREATOR accepts WAVE or MP3 files as the source.

Best,
Karl

Karl W. Fisher
Director, Language Laboratory