LLTI Archives

January 2001, Week 2

From:
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 13:33:25 EST
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] (Robert Smitheram) ---

[log in to unmask] writes:
>Do you think if I install unicode language kit, I should be able to read/
>write and set character set to unicode?

There is actually no unicode language kit since unicode is not a language but a
coding system that unifies most of the world's languages under one coding
system (see www.unicode.org for complete details). In MacOS 9, unicode support
is application based [both the recent versions of Netscape and Internet
Explorer do a fairly good job of providing Unicode support], so you will have
to find an application that supports unicode: word-processing applications like
Tex-Edit (http://216.25.53.29/trans-tex/index.htm) and Style will support
saving and opening Unicode files. Adobe's GoLive will open/save the UTF-8
(web-safe) version of Unicode web pages. I am not aware of any applications in
MacOS 9 for which you can use the "Extended Roman (U)" or "Unicode Hex Input"
keyboard layouts, but you can certainly use them in MacOS X.

Robert H. Smitheram