LLTI Archives

December 2000, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 2000 07:52:57 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "David Pankratz" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 10:38:05 -0600
>From: "David Pankratz" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5865.1 "special" places in your lab (!)

------------------
Regarding furniture considerations for disabled, Linda Jones at the University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, wrote a very informative article which was published in the IALL Journal, Volume 29, No. 1 under the Lab Management section.

For website considerations, Lisa Jansen at the University of Wisconsin, Madison, did an excellent presentation at the October MWALL conference entitled "Curb Cuts in the Digital Lab: Making Materials Accessible." She went into detail about designing websites that are accessible to the disabled, special reader software, etc. (Unfortunately I do not have an email address for Lisa.) The University of Wisconsin is collaborating with a project called DO-IT (Disabilites, Opportunities, Internetworking and Technology) based at the University of Washington. Email: [log in to unmask] and URL http://www.washington.edu/doit/

David Pankratz
Loyola University Chicago

>>> [log in to unmask] 12/13/00 09:01AM >>>
--- Forwarded Message from "Scott G. Williams" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 09:44:02 -0600
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: "Scott G. Williams" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5865 "special" places in your lab

------------------
Ho, ho, ho,

In all this discussion about planning a lab, has anyone done much
work in making the lab more accessible to the disabled? For instance
automatic doors, wider door jams, special tables for wheel chairs, a
special station with a mongo large screen and software that reads
outloud the content of the screen, etc. etc.

Speaking of the last bit there (pun intended), how many of you have
taken care that all your lab/departmental/faculty/course webpages are
constructed such that they can be well read by the appropriate
software (and the help of explanatory tags for all images, nothing
that actually changes place on the page, etc.)? And what software
would you be using for that?

Scott

--
Scott G. Williams, Ph.D.

Tel: Office (817) 272-5650 / LAC (817) 272-5148
Fax: (817) 272-5408

email: [log in to unmask]

LAC: (http://langlab.uta.edu/lac.htm)
Foreign Languages:( http://langlab.uta.edu)