LLTI Archives

December 2000, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 08:12:41 EST
--- Forwarded Message from barbara sawhill <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 16:32:59 -0500
>From: barbara sawhill <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: "special" places in your lab
>Originator-info: login-id=psawhill; server=mail.oberlin.edu
>To: [log in to unmask]

Greetings:

I, too, am writing a module for the third edition of the IALL Lab Design
Kit  and am in need of some help from LLTI-ers.

My module or chapter has to do with special space considerations in a
language lab.  Examples of these special spaces could be audio or video
recording studios, faculty workstations, quiet study rooms, soundproof
booths for recording and listening to tapes, video viewing rooms, movie
viewing rooms, "smart" classrooms, media libraries, etc etc etc.

If you were to do all over again, what rooms/dedicated spaces would you
make sure were included in your lab's blueprints?  What space do you wish
you had but --now that they have finished construction and closed up the
walls-- there's no way yer gonna get?  What have you seen at someone else's
lab that made you think "Wow, that would have been cool to have..."   On
the flip side of the question:  what kind of space requirements did you
think you needed but now find you don't need anymore?

Feel free to respond off-list or on.

Thanks!

Barbara

Barbara Sawhill
Director
Cooper International Learning Center (The Language Lab)
Oberlin College

phone: 440-775-8595
fax 440-775-6888

http://www.oberlin.edu/~ilc/