LLTI Archives

December 2000, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 08:12:39 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Anthony Stenton <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------

>We are considering digitizing the audio tapes used in our language programs.
>I would like to know your opinion on that. I am particularly interested in
>knowing:

Greetings from Toulouse university. We have digitized large quantites of
video and audio tapes.
We listen  to them via Windows Media Player.
Students read the script (at the same time as listening)   with an in-house
Toolbook authoring system called Smart Alex which also generates
concordances, cloze tests and highlights all technical terms in bold
characters.

The problem of synchronizing sound and text is delicate. Teleste's "Audio
Partner" has a laborious but successful solution. Who has the time to do
all the work of synchronization ? Isn't it cheaper to buy DVD's  or a video
caption reader ?

Good luck,

Tony Stenton
Université des Sciences sociales