LLTI Archives

December 2000, Week 2

From:
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 10:01:36 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Dick House <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 23:54:27 -0500 (EST)
>From: Dick House <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5860.5 Digitized audio (!)

------------------
If you have the text, you might try an extension of our scheme at Wabash
College.  We digitize the audio, turning it into a quicktime audio file,
then put that file in a page of html.  There's no reason not to have the
text for the audio segment in question on the same page.

EXCEPT that, while most publishers now readily allow one to "change
formats", there's seldom implicite permission to "change the
presentation".  Since cassettes or audio cds have only the audio, I'd
suspect you'd have to get extra permission for COMBINING that with text in
one medium.

By the way, though we have html pages, it's inTRAnet, since the publishers
also usually stipulate student use and lab use, thus making a "no holds
barred" web site a NO-NO.

Dick