LLTI Archives

December 2000, Week 2

From:
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 10:01:30 EST
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] ---

>Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 14:05:18 -0600
>From: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: #5860.5 Digitized audio (!)
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
All,

QuickTIme Pro, for both Mac & PC, allows you to add a text track (well,
several actually) which you can synchronize to the audio.  You can turn the
text on or off, depending on the focus of the lesson.

I am just finishing a little Macintosh app to help with the transcription
and timing.  Let me know if you are interested in it.

Tom Browne

--On Tue, Dec 12, 2000 8:12 AM -0500 LLTI-Editor
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:r
> [...]
>> > interested
>> in
>> > knowing:
>>
>> This is a timely memo for me.
>> We have just begun the same process. I have put together a station solely
>> for this purpose it comprises:
>>
>> PC: 933 mHz, 40 g Hard Drive, 512 m RAM, internal CD-RW, internal 250 mb
>> Zip,  Soundforge for the audio software (plus other to compress, make RA
>> files, etc.), 32 mv NVIDIA M64 AGP card,
>> IEEE1394 PCI card, Dell Movie Studio (is this a good tool? I figured I'd
>> try it before I spring for more video software. Anyone had experience w/
>> this?), Epson  1200 Scanner, HP932 C color printer.
>> My sense was that this would handle the job of doing the digitizing we
>> want to do. Sound ok? Did I miss something? Is this similar to what
>> you're using?
>>
>> more...
>>

>> > 2- or that you have the transcriptions of the texts on the monitor
>> > (with
>> the
>> > possibility of the text being highlighted or underlined as the audio
>> enfolds
>>
>> Madonn'!! This seems like a huge undertaking, unless you already have the
>> textual material to scan in or a publisher-supplied cd-rom
>> with all that on it or something. Is anyone else doing
>> this? Sounds like a great result, but an awful lot of effort (on what may
>> be more or less ephemeral material) to get there. Since our undertaking
>> is essentially a two-person effort I hesitate to commit to that
>> extent. However, I, too, would be interested in knowing if anyone is
>> doing this.
>>
>> > 3. or that you have added some other options such as the possibility of
>> > playing the audio texts at a slower speed etc...
>>
>> I would love to hear about this as well. Much of this kind of thing may
>> be more easily done by the student w/ his or her own audio controls,
>> perhaps.
>>
>> Also, I want to again thank the IALL/LLTI-er who recently suggested using
>> the Windows Recorder as an on-the-fly sort of substitute for the DRILL
>> function!
>>
>> Cheers,
>> And keep those chads coming,
>> Ed
>>

>> > I would appreciate all your comments, recommendations etc...
>> > Thanks y'all.
>> >
>> > fatima
>> >

>> > Fatima Chajia, Ph.D
>> > Dept of Foreign Languages
>> > 358 T.T. Allain
>> > Southern University and A&M
>> > Baton Rouge, LA 70813
>> > (225) 771-3030 (office)

>> _____________
>> > Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download :
>> http://explorer.msn.com

>> Edmund N. Dente
>> Director, Language Media Center    Ph: 617-627-3036
>> Tufts University                   [log in to unmask]

Thomas Browne          Director, Humanities Resource Center
Macalester College                    [log in to unmask]
1600 Grand Avenue                              651-696-6336
Saint Paul  Minnesota  55105-1899