LLTI Archives

December 2000, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 08:12:50 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------

>> 2- or that you have the transcriptions of the texts on the monitor (with the
>> possibility of the text being highlighted or underlined as the audio enfolds

Notes:

A caveat--be sure you have copyright permission for this if it comes from a
textbook. I know that our German textbook has a Transparent Language CD-ROM
that has the audio material very highly integrated with the texts, and I
assume that the rights to do that are not available to others.

 I have heard that McGraw-Hill is working on its own CD-ROM/Web-based
workbooks which the students would buy bundled with the textbook, which will
relieve labs of this particular job.

 Of course, for material originating at your school this is very attractive.
I think Divace and some other programs allow you to link audio with a
transcription of the text so that it will scroll as the audio plays.

I did a very crude job of setting up some Chinese texts the professor had
composed and recorded, scanning each text as an image and linking it to the
audio file. "Quick and dirty" but useful.
http://www.clas.ufl.edu/llc/Chinese/index.html

Judy Shoaf
University of Florida