LLTI Archives

December 2000, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 08:12:45 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Ed Dente <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------
On Mon, 11 Dec 2000, LLTI-Editor wrote:
> This is a timely memo for me.
> We have just begun the same process. I have put together a station solely
> for this purpose it comprises:
>
> PC: 933 mHz, 40 g Hard Drive, 512 m RAM, internal CD-RW, internal 250 mb
> Zip,  Soundforge for the audio software (plus other to compress, make RA
> files, etc.), 32 mv NVIDIA M64 AGP card,
> IEEE1394 PCI card, Dell Movie Studio (is this a good tool? I figured I'd
> try it before I spring for more video software. Anyone had experience w/

In a very amusing memo, Derek pointed out that in my haste to quickly
abbreviate and note the system I put together for digitizing I described a
VERY interesting system:

Derek noted:
>Let's see, that's a 933 milli-Hertz processor (almost one cycle per
>second!), a 40 gram hard drive (nice and light), a 512 meter RAM
>(almost half a mile), and a 250 milli-bit Zip (four of these will
>hold one bit).  This is one interesting computer (but not nearly as
>interesting as the capitalization and abbreviation conventions in the
>computer world ;-)
>Derek

Now that's some system! I had just quickly slapped down some abbreviated
abbreviations in my memo thinking everyone would know what I meant, but I
SHOULD have been more precise.
However, I WOULD LOVE a computer with "512 meters of RAM", wouldn't you
all?
Cheers,
Ed