LLTI Archives

December 2000, Week 1

From:
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 08:02:28 EST
--- Forwarded Message from TennesseeBob Peckham <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 08:10:22 -0600
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: TennesseeBob Peckham <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: US International keyboard

------------------
I do not mean for this to sound offensive to anyone's method, but I try to
get students who insist on using a PC to type accents with a US
international keyboard, since we have encountered developmental spelling
problems with students who use altcodes.  Since our department is an
all-MAC shop, I would like to know if there are any specific difficulties
finding or using the US International keyboard in Windows 2000 or Windows
ME.  PC users here frequently use machines in our card-access walk-in labs,
which default to a standard US keyboard, but which have al the keyboards
installed.

One of my big problems is students arriving on campus who have their own
machines, without extra keyboards installed.  Many PC users drift into our
language lab, because it is so easy to make accents on MACs.

Do I need to alter my instructional page:

Making Accents with MACs and PCs
http://fmc.utm.edu/~rpeckham/accents.html

???

TBob

Robert D. Peckham, PhD
Director, the Globe-Gate Project
Director, the Muriel Tomlinson Language Resource Center
Univ. of Tennessee-Martin
http://globegate.utm.edu