LLTI Archives

November 2000, Week 4

From:
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 14:08:50 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 15:44:25 -0700
>From: Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]>
>To: LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5825.3 typesetting quest: U and I with tilde (!)

> --- Forwarded Message from Mary Fetherston

> Using Office 2000/MS Word, pull down the Insert menu and select
> Symbol.
>
> Choose the Arial font.  Scroll down until you see the i and u with
> the tildas.

This is a byproduct of having a Unicode font available.  Until
recently, computer fonts had only about 100 different text symbols
(not counting upper and lower case).  Unicode fonts push this number
up into the thousands of alphabetic symbols, and thousands of
ideographic symbols (most of them Chinese).  If you have a Unicode
font on your computer, you will probably find all the language and
linguistic symbols that you need.

Theoretically, this is is independent of platform and word processor
software.  But MicroSoft and Word have done more to implement Unicode
than most people.  Although our own Rick Kunst and Duke's Callis
authoring system are way ahead of them.

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center, Ortega Hall Rm 129, University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131  505/277-4804 fax 505/277-3885
Internet: [log in to unmask]