LLTI Archives

November 2000, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 10:15:06 EST
(I don't think the enclosure will survive the listserv mchanism. I'll give it a try! - if not, contact the author directly. ---Otmar)

--- Forwarded Message from "Daniel E. Meyers" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 08:52:08 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum     <[log in to unmask]>
>From: "Daniel E. Meyers" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5823 special German character sought
>Cc: [log in to unmask]

Hello Ursula and All:

This is Dan Meyers from the Interactive Language Resource Center at
Miami University, Oxford, Ohio. I have modified a Macintosh font from
the Times New Roman library using Macromedia's Fontographer 4.0 and
added the below mentioned special diacritical that Ursula's colleague
was looking for.

All the normal text input functions are the same with the one
exception of option + dash. That combination will give you the
special character that the colleague was looking for.

For anyone that's interested, I've attached the font suitcase to this
message. Hope it works for you, Ursula!!! Go ND!

----------------

What a colleague is looking for is the character that is used in
German textbooks to indicate plurals of nouns that form plurals by
adding an umlaut. It's just a dash (an en-dash, for those in the
know) with a dieresis. Anybody got one? We'll take Mac or PC. Heck,
we'll even take an em-dash!--
Daniel E. Meyers - Director of the Interactive Language Resource Center
47 Irvin Hall, Miami University, Oxford, Ohio 45056-1848
Office: (513) 529-2510  -  Lab: (513) 529-4505  -  Fax: (513) 529-1807
Pager: (513) 820-0219 - E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
WWW: http://www.cas.muohio.edu/~ilrc/