LLTI Archives

November 2000, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 10:15:04 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Carroll Hightower <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 09:29:22 -0600
>From: Carroll Hightower <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5815.4 Security (!)
>To: [log in to unmask]

<snipping review of  FoolProof Security software, which is a pretty good
product>

We use FoolProof here on both Macintosh and Windows platforms, and it
serves us quite well. One caveat, though:  on the Windows side, FoolProof
sometimes mucks for no apparent reason with font display in old language
applications for the DOS platform.   I've observed this with regard to some
old Russian software that we use, as well as a couple of other things.  So
if you have faculty who want to use old legacy software, it may not play
nicely with FoolProof.  The problem occurred not only when FoolProof was
installed and running, but installed and OFF.  We had to deinstall it
entirely on machines where we needed to run the desired software.

Carroll

=========

Carroll Hightower
Academic Computing Coordinator for the Languages
and Literatures
Carleton College
Northfield, MN

--On Wednesday, November 15, 2000 8:25 AM -0500 LLTI-Editor