LLTI Archives

November 2000, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 2000 08:17:14 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Christopher Jones <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 13:47:24 -0500
>From: Christopher Jones <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Master's in CALL at Carnegie Mellon
>Originator-Info: login-token=Mulberry:01vbNw5SAd31P0Mb9cCDPnVBAQ5xFDHv3rFt1avSPjbg==; [log in to unmask]

------------------
All:

The Department of Modern Languages and The Language Technologies Institute
at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh are launching a 12-month
Master's program in CALL. The program will combine the strengths in
second-language acquisition and courseware development of the Department of
Modern Languages with the expertise in advanced language technologies of
the Language Technologies Institute. The program is scheduled to begin in
the Fall of 2001.

The program includes instruction in how to design the learning sequence for
a CALL program based in sound pedagogy, how to create the corresponding
software, and how to use the latest language technologies to create new
types of CALL interactivity. Students will learn the essential concepts of
second language acquisition and will acquire practice in assessing CALL
software.

Students will carry a full load of courses in the Fall and Spring and
complete a summer of supervised individual study enabling the student to
complete a portfolio of software and related work. In special cases,
students will be permitted to enroll on a part-time basis. Rather than
comprehensive exams and a thesis, each student will complete and assess a
major project, for example: an instructional module based on a functional/
grammatical focus, with new media, hand-coded interaction and end-user
tracking, with preliminary data compiled from multiple subjects
illustrating instructional efficacy.

Maxine Eskenazi of the LTI ([log in to unmask]) and I will be directing the
program. We will be happy to answer questions which might arise after a
visit to the program web site at:

http://www.cmu.edu/call

Please forward this message to those of your students who might be
interested.

Regards,

-Chris

Christopher M. Jones, PhD
Principal Lecturer in French / Director, Language Learning Resource Center
mail: Baker Hall 160, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA 15213
tel: 412-268-5065  fax: 412-268-1328  e-mail: [log in to unmask]