LLTI Archives

November 2000, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2000 11:45:32 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Ursula Williams <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 14:10:26 -0500
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: Ursula Williams <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: special German character sought
>Cc: [log in to unmask]

OK, colleagues, before you go on, please be aware that I realize that
I am a "special German character." (That sound you hear is Ed
deleting the reply he had started. And just when he had finally put
his hankie away from Saturday's football game!)

But seriously:

What a colleague is looking for is the character that is used in
German textbooks to indicate plurals of nouns that form plurals by
adding an umlaut. It's just a dash (an en-dash, for those in the
know) with a dieresis. Anybody got one? We'll take Mac or PC. Heck,
we'll even take an em-dash!

The same colleague is trying to find out what a "Xenusion" is, having
seen it in a German "Animals A to Z" children's book some years back.
He is creating a foreign language game. There was no picture. I guess
it must be some kind of strange animal. (Well, hey, maybe that's what
it is!)  Any insights would be gratefully appreciated.

Ursula Williams
Notre Dame 28
(Boston College 16)