LLTI Archives

November 2000, Week 1

From:
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 07:50:35 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Jan Enright <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 11:15:26 -0700
>From: Jan Enright <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: future for audio programs
>To: "LLTI group (E-mail)" <[log in to unmask]>

I am interested in hearing how other institutions are handling the audio
requirements for their language classes. For years we have duplicated audio
tapes for students to use while they were enrolled in a language class. They
were allowed to check out these tapes for the duration of the class, and
then returned the set to the lab. All listening stations were removed from
the campus, students worked in their own rooms. Now students tell me they do
not have tape players, only CD players. Are you duplicating CDs for students
to check out? Are you preparing the audio tracks to stream over a server? We
are brainstorming, trying to decide which way to go. Is there a way we could
share the process if institutions are using the same textbooks? Could
publishers put the audio up on the web for folks to utilize, either for a
small fee or by subscription? (or for free considering what the students pay
for the text and workbook) As this is of interest to lots of folks, could we
have this discussion open? If that is a problem, email me directly.

Jan

Jan Enright
Colorado College
Keck Humanities Lab Coordinator