LLTI Archives

November 2000, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 08:15:56 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Kevin Carroll <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------
>--- Forwarded Message from barbara sawhill <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
>>Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 09:48:56 -0500
>>From: barbara sawhill <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject: is wireless just for macs?
>>Originator-info: login-id=psawhill; server=mail.oberlin.edu
>>To: [log in to unmask]
>
>The answer to this question is no... wireless is a cross platform
>phenomenon.
>
>Our laptop classroom uses a Lucent Technologies hub that happily "talks"
>with the iBooks and their Airport cards as well as any DELL or IBM laptop
>that might have a wireless card installed.
>
>What we see happening is that faculty or students who already own laptops
>with the wireless cards can then bring their laptops to the classroom and
>use the wireless connection -in addition to- the 20 or so iBooks in the
>classroom.
>
>What is more, now that we have wireless access in our library, the language
>lab,  as well as in many public outdoor areas... people with wireless PDAs
>and wireless cards in their laptops can wander  about unthethered to the
>network  and still be connected.
>
>So, given the recent spell of balmy weather here in Northeast Ohio, many
>have been the times that my intern and I have thought about getting moving
>our offices (ie a couple of laptops) outside  and continuing our work in
>the sunshine via wireless.  Our productivity curve might flatten out, but
>hey, it's fun....

Fun? Perhaps. I would be concerned about unauthorized users activating
their laptops and accessing my network. What provisions do you have in
place for network security?

Kevin C. Carroll, MA

Systems Administrator
Wayne State University