LLTI Archives

October 2000, Week 5

From:
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 08:14:27 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "=?iso-8859-2?Q?W=B3odzimierz_Sobkowiak?=" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "=?iso-8859-2?Q?W=B3odzimierz_Sobkowiak?=" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: 33rd Poznan Linguistic Meeting
>Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 14:50:22 +0200

------------------
PLM 2001

33rd Poznan Linguistic Meeting
Challenges for linguistics in the 21st century
27-29 April 2001

FIRST CIRCULAR AND CALL FOR PAPERS

PROGRAMME

The 33rd Poznan Linguistic Meeting, the first PLM of the new millenium,
organized by the School of English, Adam Mickiewicz University, Poznan,
Poland, will be devoted to discussing  the challenges for linguistics in the
21st century.

The already known points on the programme of PLM 2001 are:

* a workshop on Challenges in Computer-Assisted Applied Linguistics
organized by prof. Wlodzimierz Sobkowiak [log in to unmask] of the
Department of English Computer Linguistics, School of English, Adam
Mickiewicz University (please find attached the organizer's call for papers)

* a workshop on Language and Global Communication organized by dr Adam
Jaworski (Cardiff University) (please find attached the organizer's call for
papers)

* a session on Challenges for Natural Linguistics in the 21st century
organized by prof. Katarzyna Dziubalska-Kolaczyk  (School of English, Adam
Mickiewicz University, Poznan). You are invited to submit proposals of talks
to the organizer: [log in to unmask]

* a talk by prof. Dafydd Gibbon (University of Bielefeld) on Efficient
documentation of endangered languages for research and applications

* other already suggested areas/topics: sociolinguistics of American
dialects, evolutionary linguistics, historical linguistics, second language
acquisition, computational phonetics, teaching of phonetics and phonology

PAPERS

Proposals for papers (as well as other sessions or workshops) are invited.
Two-page abstracts (including bibliography) should be submitted to the PLM
2001 address by the end of December 2000, preferably by e-mail
[log in to unmask]; alternatively you may send us a diskette (Word for
Windows or .rtf)

Abstracts will be reviewed by an international advisory board. Notification
of acceptance will be sent to the authors by the 16th of February 2001.
Abstracts for workshops should be sent directly to convenors.

BOOK EXHIBITION AND SALE

Traditionally, a book exhibition and sale will be organized by the Omnibus
bookshop, offering very attractive prices on books by major linguistic
publishers.

VENUE

This time the venue is outside of Poznan. Its address is:Bukowy Dworek
tel./fax (+48 502609451)
tel. (+48 68) 341 28 51
tel. (+48 68) 341 22 94

www.ta.pl/bukowydworek
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

This is a congress centre of a very high standard, with well-equipped
conference rooms and comfortable accommodation. The centre is situated in a
beautiful natural surrounding of woods and lakes. The guests will be offered
free use of a swimming pool, fitness club, and parking lot.
Price per person (regardless of room type) per day: 250 PLN (includes
accommodation and ALL meals), paid at the congress centre.

TRANSPORT

The organisers offer transportation from Poznan to Bukowy Dworek on the 26th
of April, 2001. The coach will leave for Bukowy Dworek at 4:00 p.m. from the
School of English in Poznan.

For those who choose to travel by car, a detailed map will be provided in
the second circular (see also the web page of Bukowy Dworek).

REGISTRATION

70 PLN (the account number will be provided in the second circular). The fee
includes the cost of conference materials, banquet, tea/coffee during the
meeting, transport from Poznan and back.

REPLY FORMS

To register for the conference, please complete and return the enclosed
reply form (either by email or by post) at your earliest convenience, but
not later than the end of December.

ADDRESS FOR INQUIRIES, ABSTRACTS AND REPLY FORMS

PLM 2001
School of English
Adam Mickiewicz University
Collegium Novum
al. Niepodleglosci 4
61-874 Poznan
POLAND

tel: (+48 61) 829-35-06
fax: (+48 61) 829-35-05
http://elex.amu.edu.pl/ifa/
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

PLM Organisers
Katarzyna Dziubalska-Kolaczyk
Katarzyna Janicka

------------------
PLM 2001 REPLY FORM
------------------

TITLE

NAME

AFFILIATION

ADDRESS

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO READ A PAPER, SPECIFY THE SECTION

TITLE OF THE PAPER

I WILL arrive in Poznan and use the transportation offered

I WILL arrive directly in Bukowy Dworek on ---------------------

-------------------

I WILL LEAVE ON

-------------------

SPECIAL WISHES

CALL FOR PAPERS

to be presented at

CHALLENGES IN COMPUTER-ASSISTED APPLIED LINGUISTICS,

a CCAAL workshop
on 27 April 2001
organized by the Department of English Computer Linguistics,
School of English, Adam Mickiewicz University as part of the...

33 POZNAN LINGUISTIC MEETING
27-29 April 2001

Applied linguistics is thriving in Europe and in Poland.  The volume of
foreign language teaching, translation or dictionary-making, to name just a
few areas, is reaching unprecedented heights.  Computer assistance is used
more and more in all these activities.  While there have been conferences
devoted to applied linguistics and computer support in education, we believe
that the issues concerning the theoretical and practical challenges
currently encountered at the interface of the two fields have not so far
been addressed properly.  We feel that computer-assistance is either taken
for granted or treated as a (yet to be deployed) panaceum for all applied
linguistics problems and weaknesses.

We propose a different approach, one which is epitomized in the concept of
'challenges'.  The workshop will be about the challenges of CAAL, both those
which, while known, have not been faced and solved yet, and those which one
may foresee in the future.  We propose to identify and tackle these
challenges here and now, in the workshop being part of the next Poznan
Linguistic Meeting.  The following is a short list of CAAL challenges which
is meant to suggest and stimulate, but by no means exhaust the inventory:

* inflated promises and expectations,
* hardware and software problems,
* hardware and software availability,
* language barrier -- software localization,
* user interface and effectiveness,
* learner and teacher training,
* classroom integration,
* Internet.

As far as CAAL itself is concerned, we propose a wide view in which
'computer-assistance' may be understood in many ways, from the minimum of
word-processing to the maximum of systems fully equipped in artificial
intelligence and working with no continuous human supervision.  Applied
linguistics, in turn, is equally liberally interpreted as encompassing
practical linguistic applications of linguistics, socio- and
psycholinguistics, computer-science, pedagogy, media studies and others.  At
the interface of these wide ranges of research will be, among others, such
sciences and activities as:

* Computer-Assisted Language Learning/Teaching/Instruction (CALL/CALT/CAI)
* Computer-Assisted Translation (CAT)
* Computer-Assisted Lexicography (CAL)
* Applied Corpus Linguistics (ACL)
* Natural Language Processing (NLP)
* Computer-Mediated Communication (CMC)
* Human-Computer Interaction (HCI)

At present we are planning to have a one-day workshop, i.e. proceedings
beginning in the morning and completed by a panel discussion in the
afternoon.  We are planning to have half-hour slots for paper presentation
and discussion.  Posters will be accepted and displayed if need arises.  All
proposals will be anonymously peer-reviewed before acceptance.
Computer-assisted interactive presentations are encouraged.  Please let us
know well before the workshop what hardware and software you will need.

Persons wishing to participate in the CCAAL workshop should fill in the
reply form above and send it to the organizers of the conference
[log in to unmask] The abstract should be sent to the undersigned at

Prof. Wlodzimierz  Sobkowiak

Call for Papers

LANGUAGE AND GLOBAL COMMUNICATION WORKSHOP

This special interest panel will be held alongside the Poznan Linguistics
Meeting (PLM), 27-29 April 2001.

Contributions are invited for presentation at the Workshop on any aspect of
sociolinguistic, discourse analytic and communicative aspects of
globalisation. Topics may include:

* Technology, translation, culture
* Multimodality
* Quality of life and health care in a global community
* Tourism as a global cultural industry
* Linguistic, social and political identities under
globalisation/localisation
* Political dimensions of globalisation: democratisation vs. hegemonisation

Please send a 200-300 word abstract (preferably by email) to the Workshop
Convener, Adam Jaworski, at the address below, by 31 January 2001.

Dr Adam Jaworski
Centre for Language & Communication Research
Cardiff University
PO Box 94, Cardiff CF10 3XB
Wales, UK

tel +44 (0)29 20874243
fax +44 (0)29 20874242

Prof. Wlodzimierz Sobkowiak
School of English
Adam Mickiewicz University
al. Niepodleglosci 4
61-874 Poznan
Poland
tel. (48-61) 8528820
fax. (48-61) 8523103
Office web page:  elex.amu.edu.pl/ifa/staff/sobkowiak.html
Personal web page: elex.amu.edu.pl/~sobkow/index.html