LLTI Archives

October 2000, Week 4

From:
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 08:30:28 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Jianxiong Wu <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 17:45:16 -0500 (CDT)
>From: Jianxiong Wu <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5777 Portable Lab Carts

------------------

The wireless lab we currently have in the Language Center of University of
Minnesota has 25 Dell Inspiron 5000 laptop computers equipped with a
Lucent WaveLAN Silver card. It is connected to the Internet, our Novell
and NT servers through Apple Airports.  The connection is good especially
if the airport is in the same room as the wireless lab. One airport can
support the Internet use of all 25 machines.  We can even do streaming
videos. We still have range problems to solve.  Currently, we are looking
at different hubs which may give us a better range than Apple airports. We
use Novell ZenWork to do software installation wirelessly on individual
machines, which works extremely well.  We are planning to put a printer
and a wireless Ethernet converter on the lab so that people can print
wirelessly. It is a new thing for us. We will be happy to share what
we learn, and would also like to hear from people who have similar
experiences.

Jian Wu
CLA Language Center
University of Minnesota