LLTI Archives

October 2000, Week 4

From:
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 08:30:26 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Jenise Rowekamp <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 09:49:48 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Jenise Rowekamp <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5777 Portable Lab Carts

------------------
Hi,
I'm at the University of Minnesota and we have more demand for computer
classrooms than we have supply so we decided to try wireless and portable.
We just set up a portable laptop lab for language use. We have 25 Dell
Inspiron 5000 laptops, each with two battery packs and Lucent network
cards. We had a cart custom-made with slots large enough so that we can
open the laptops slightly to load software via a network without taking
them all out. We currently have the laptops set to access the Internet via
an Apple airports connected to an ethernet jack nearby (usually within 100
feet and have found that vertical is sometimes better access than
horizontal). We're pretty pleased with how well the computers are
functioning. We've have a classroom full of students accessing the Web and
using sound files without problems. We have a 10-baseT switched ethernet
network. We're in the process of putting a printer on the cart which will
be accessed via a wireless hub.

The total cost for this lab was under $80,000 and it allowed us to expand
without having the space for a conventional lab. I'd be happy to talk
off-line about the lab if you want to e-mail me directly or call.

Jenise Rowekamp
612-625-3865

>--- Forwarded Message from "Mary Ohno" <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
>>From: "Mary Ohno" <[log in to unmask]>
>>To: [log in to unmask]
>>Subject: Portable Lab Carts
>>Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 13:43:13 GMT
>
>------------------
>At a recent local conference, I found out about a portable cart that can
>hold several laptops and be taken out of a lab into a classroom. It can even
>hookup, wireless, to the server, if it's within a short distance. We have
>three different sites within about a block of each other that might benefit
>>from this.
>
>Does anyone know the details of such a configuration?
>
>Thanks.
>
>--Mary Kiyoko Ohno
>--Carlos Rosario International Public Charter School
>--Washington, DC

>http://profiles.msn.com.

Jenise Rowekamp, Director
CLA Language Center