LLTI Archives

October 2000, Week 3

From:
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 08:34:37 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "M. A. Wyszynski" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 09:52:07 -0400
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: "M. A. Wyszynski" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5761 Legal issues regarding conversion of PAL video to NTSC

------------------
I have had no trouble getting permission to convert from Spanish production
companies.  I simply fax them stating the problem, and in the fax I say we
are going to make one copy for pedagogical purposes.  I also promise them
that we will keep the original and the copy together.  I usually get a
positive response within a few days.

Matt Wyszynski

>Hello,
>
>I have been informed that it is not legal to convert video from PAL or
SECAM to NTSC without permission of the
>copyright holder.  That is, under US copyright law, converting a PAL or
SECAM video to NTSC constitutes a copy
>procedure.  I was wondering if others on the list could shed some light on
this problem.  Specifically,

>1. Has anyone tried to obtain permission to do these conversions for
European film titles and if so, how