LLTI Archives

October 2000, Week 3

From:
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 08:34:34 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 15:16:28 -0600
>From: Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]>
>To: LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5761 Legal issues regarding conversion of PAL video to NTSC

Our university lawyers have changed their opinions a time or two, but
currently they tell us that we may convert a videotape from PAL or
SECAM into NTSC, so long as we retain the original, which must be a
retail copy, not something recorded off a TV broadcast.  They also
give us permission to copy clips or short segments for professors who
are using this material for research.  The latter permission does not
include showing the copied clips in class for the education of the
students (Why would anyone care about that?).

Two things strike me whenever I work with our lawyers and copyright.
One is that they don't seem to be on our side.  They send around
memos now and then, saying we can be fired for violating copyright
law, even if no copyright holder complains.  The other thing I notice
is that they refuse to put any of their decisions in writing.
Whether we send them memos or emails, they always respond by phone,
and won't even leave a message.  They are willing to promise to send
us "guidance" in writing, but it never actually happens.

My conclusion is that they are willing to bet _my_ job on their
opinion of copyright law, but in case of trouble, they don't any
evidence around that they might have made a mistake.  Other
conclusions are possible.  However, because I want to serve the
professors and students, I am willing to act on their stated
opinions, and make copies under the limited circumstances that they
endorse.

Derek

> --- Forwarded Message from Jeff La Favre <[log in to unmask]> ---

> I have been informed that it is not legal to convert video from PAL
> or SECAM to NTSC without permission of the copyright holder.  That
> is, under US copyright law, converting a PAL or SECAM video to NTSC
> constitutes a copy procedure.  I was wondering if others on the
> list could shed some light on this problem.  Specifically,
>
> 1. Has anyone tried to obtain permission to do these conversions
> for European film titles and if so, how difficult was it to obtain
> permission?
>
> 2. Under what conditions may one do conversions without violating
> copyright laws?

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center, Ortega Hall Rm 129, University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131  505/277-4804 fax 505/277-3885
Internet: [log in to unmask]