LLTI Archives

October 2000, Week 3

From:
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 08:12:27 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Packard, Julia" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Packard, Julia" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "'Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum'"     <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Digital Media Servers
>Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 10:28:37 -0400

------------------
We are preparing to sign a proposal to update our lab here, and I have a
question that I'm hoping some of you may be able to answer.
The proposal drawn up for us includes a Tandberg Partner III server with the
following specs: 60 streams, 329 hours video storage @ 1.2Mbps.
Is this average? We have a fairly small lab - we hope to have around 25
student work stations. This is our first time dealing with digital media,
and I honestly have no idea what would be reasonable for a lab of our size
(especially considering budget constraints).
Additionally, does anyone have live video distribution for composite video
display? Is it a necessary componet, in your opinion? or one that could be
skipped for now?
I appreciate you help with this!
-Julie
Julia W. Packard