LLTI Archives

October 2000, Week 3

From:
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 08:54:19 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Sue Breeyear" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Sue Breeyear" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 09:25:33 -0400EDT
>Subject: Re: #5768 MWALL Photos

Phew, thank goodness for Auntie Nolo's decision.  I figured that
everyone in NERALLD is so darned attractive that no one would
mind having their pictures posted on the web anyway, but it's good
to know that I'm not going to get sued (on this salary, that could
spell a major disaster!) over it!

Sue

--- Forwarded Message from "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]>
---

>Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 07:49:14 -0500
>From: "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: MWALL Photos

------------------
Not to be outdone by our NERALLD colleagues...  the photos from
MWALL are
also posted.  Go to:  http://iall.net/mwall/  We may have had fewer
in
attendance (not by much), but we have many more photos! <grin>
It was
also great to talk with our NERALLD friends via videoconferencing.
We
also plan to have a few of our sessions posted soon with video
streaming
and illustrated audio.

Also announcing...  After serving well for five years, Ron Balko
stepped
down as MWALL's fearless leader.  Elected by acclamation for a
two-year
term is Jenise Rowekamp from the Univ of Minnesota.  Carroll
Hightower
from Carleton College was elected newsletter editor.  (These are
the only
two elected positions in MWALL).  Thanks Ron!  And
congratulations Jenise!

BTW... for those wondering about the legality of posting people's photos
on web sites, Kathleen Ford came up with the following tidbit which should
be of interest to us all:

>>> Kathleen Ford  10/16/00 07:06PM >>>
Here's a related bit of trivia I came across as I was going through
email today:

=====5. Auntie Nolo: "He Stole My Pic & Posted It!"

    Auntie Nolo, our persnickety in-house legal maven,
    always has an answer to legal dilemmas. Whether
    you like the answer or not is another thing
    altogether.

    A reader asks:
    "What rights does a person have if their picture
    was taken and then posted to an Internet website
    without their permission? Are they entitled to any
    profits of the website? Can they sue if the
    picture was uncomplimentary?"

Find Auntie's answer here:
http://www.nolo.com/auntie/question_656.html?e=b12b0000510102000

Susan Breeyear, Language Resource Center Coordinator
200 Southwick Building
University of Vermont
Burlington, Vermont 05405

VOICE:802-656-7856