LLTI Archives

October 2000, Week 3

From:
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 08:54:14 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Judi Franz <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 08:32:50 -0700
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Judi Franz <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5761.6 Legal issues regarding conversion of PAL video to NTSC (!)

------------------
One method I have used which makes the "sorry" a little less "sorry"
is to recommend to the faculty member that they purchase *2* PAL
originals. We make one NTSC copy and destroy one PAL original. They
purchased 2, they have 2 (one of each). This way we have a backup
should we need a quick replacement (if the copy is damaged or reaches
the end of its life-span and they need to show it the next day).

We also do have a multi-standard VCR that they can use to show the
original in class. In general, I tell them that I cannot duplicate
copyrighted work and we can give them the equipment to show the
original. If they push, I give them the option above or tell them to
obtain permission in writing.

Judi

>--- Forwarded Message from Ursula Williams <[log in to unmask]> ---

> >Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 14:00:06 -0500
> >To: Language Learning and Technology International Information
>Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
> >From: Ursula Williams <[log in to unmask]>
> >Subject: Re: #5761.1 Legal issues regarding conversion of PAL
>video to NTSC (!)
>
>------------------
>I'm with Bruce on this one, and here's the reason: If you retain the
>original, what do you do if the copy is lost or damaged? I'm thinking
>that it is NOT legal to retain originals and circulate copies, making
>fresh ones as needed. That is not, IMO, the spirit of the law. I do
>make conversions, but destroy the original. That way the person who
>bought one tape has one tape, with its built-in life-span. When that
>expires, it's time to buy a new tape.
>
>Ursula "Better Safe than Sorry" Williams
>University of Notre Dame
>(where "sorry" really means "sorry")
>
><smirk>

Judi Franz, Director
Humanities Instructional Resource Center
University of California, Irvine
269 Humanities Hall
(949) 824-6344
http://www.humanities.uci.edu/hirc