LLTI Archives

October 2000, Week 3

From:
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 08:54:12 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Harold Hendricks <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 17:51:19 -0600
>From: Harold Hendricks <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5767 C'eravamo tanto amati--not quite an advertisement
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Several list members have requested information on the BYU developed DVD
of the Italian motion picture C'eravamo tanto amati, so I thought it
might be useful to post this description of the project.

BYU created an interactive laserdisc program using this film some years
ago.  When we tried to purchase more copies of the laserdisc it was
unavailable.  After many phone calls, we discovered the North American
license for the film had expired, so we pursued obtaining the rights to
use the movie.  Many months and many dollars later, we had a license for
an education product based on the film.  Last fall, with the help of
Pioneer New Media and Spruce Technologies, we released a DVD as a
prototype of educational materials that can be used both in the home and
in the classroom.  The DVD provides background information on the film,
scene summaries, and three types of subtitles in Italian and English.
Our license precluded allowing the film to be viewed without
interruption, so menus appear between each of the scene sequences.  In
the classroom the instructor can use an industrial player (Pioneer 7200
or 7400) and the same barcode reader that is used with the Pioneer
laserdisc players to randomly see any scene, segment or utterance in the
movie.  The barcodes are available in an instructor's guide that also
includes biographical information, other background essays, study
questions, and other aids.  A CD-ROM will be released soon for student
use individually or as a networked lab program.  We have renewed our
license to include a VHS of the movie without subtitles.  Hopefully this
will all be completed by January 2001.

Ordering information for the DVD and instructor's guide is available at:
http://creativeworks.byu.edu/hrc

I will be happy to respond to questions off list.
--
Harold H. Hendricks