LLTI Archives

October 2000, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 08:29:18 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Ursula Williams <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 14:00:06 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Ursula Williams <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5761.1 Legal issues regarding conversion of PAL video to NTSC (!)

------------------
I'm with Bruce on this one, and here's the reason: If you retain the
original, what do you do if the copy is lost or damaged? I'm thinking
that it is NOT legal to retain originals and circulate copies, making
fresh ones as needed. That is not, IMO, the spirit of the law. I do
make conversions, but destroy the original. That way the person who
bought one tape has one tape, with its built-in life-span. When that
expires, it's time to buy a new tape.

Ursula "Better Safe than Sorry" Williams
University of Notre Dame
(where "sorry" really means "sorry")

<smirk>