LLTI Archives

October 2000, Week 3

From:
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 08:12:22 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from John de Szendeffy <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 09:13:29 -0400
>From: John de Szendeffy <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Jeff Ruth <[log in to unmask]>,        Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum         <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5760 pentium/celeron; RAM; flat screen, etc...

------------------
[A quick response to Jeff Ruth <[log in to unmask]>--I'm sure other
will elaborate.]

>         1.  Will a Pentium III processor on each PC prove to be worth the
> extra cost relative to a Celeron of about the same speed?

Celeron can be considerably slower for certain operations, even given
the same clock speed.  Generally, the best price/performance ratio is
offered by the the slowest of the current PIII offerings, that is,
instead of the faster of the Celeron. (There are usually Good, Better,
Best models offered at any one time by computer makers, the Good, in my
opinion, offering the best p/p ratio).

>         2.  Is 128M of RAM likely to be adequate for a few years?

Depends entirely upon what you plan to do.  128 is minimum, but as these
things get cheaper, it's usually better to have only the RAM you
currently need and buy more later (unless you have limited RAM slots, in
which case it might be cheaper to buy all you need now for the life of
the machine rather then replace smaller chips later).

>         3.  How might flat screens redeem their higher cost in actual usage,
> apart from their obvious more streamlined size?

My reading of their performance is that they don't.  Their value is in
space saving and aesthetics.  Otherwise, they don't perform as well and
certainly don't offer a good price/performance ratio.

>         4.  Is there a useful website or other info source to clue us into
> typical licensing procedures and costs of CDs and
>                 other language learning software for a lab setting?

My experience has been that publishers make this up as they go along,
and are very often willing to negotiate a deal better than their
advertised rate.  For example, if their network license covers 100
machines and you only have 20, negotiate a deal between the network and
lab pack prices. I have done this with several publishers.  In any case,
it doesn't hurt.

-John
John de Szendeffy       <[log in to unmask]>
Multimedia Language Lab
Center for English Language and Orientation Programs
Boston University
ph (617) 353-7957       fx (617) 353-6195
Lab:            http://www.bu.edu/celop/MLL
WebFeat:        http://www.bu.edu/johndesz/