LLTI Archives

October 2000, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 2000 08:30:38 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Pat Miller <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 13:25:26 -0700
>From: Pat Miller <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum     <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5746 The LRC conundrum

------------------
Ursula et alt,

I could not agree more! Indeed as we look at lab design we need to
balance the dream with the reality.  I redesigned our lab several years
ago and attempted to make it as state-of-the-art as possible all the
while keeping in mind the immediate, projected and realistic needs and
uses of the facility.  I do not believe in purchasing equipment which, as
you mentioned, will sit idle and simply (and ideally) serve to elevate
the institution's status. Recently I have been elected to the CSUN
Academic Senate Technology Committee and, as one of our tasks, we were
asked to submit suggestions for SMART GOALS for academic technology. One
of the most belabored issues was the idea that the level of technology
must be curriculum driven. Though the concept seems to be closely related
to basic common sense, convincing the administrative echelon is quite a
different story!  We may be opening a Pandora's Box but one which needs
to be looked into nonetheless. We can build the "verdant field with night
lighting" and surely they will come...question is: will they stay and
will this utopian environment  increase the chances of them hitting
'academic' home runs! Just my $.02 worth.

Pat Miller