LLTI Archives

October 2000, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 08:19:20 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 14:53:58 -0400
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Sony vs. Tandberg?

------------------
Noel's question (below) is important for me to try to answer. We are running
into so many administrative delays that any input I can get will be useful.
I did not feel I had the opportunity to research the question as I would
have liked.
We do need a classroom-type lab with strong teacher controls. Both Sony and
Tandberg offer this, and I'd go with Sony again mostly because the rep is
knowledgeable and reliable (Bob Crumley) and I trust him. Also, I have put
in a lot of years finding out how to work our old Sony analogue lab so I
feel I'd learn the new one quickly.
The one advantage Tandberg has is a student interface (Divace) that
purportedly allows students to access materials in many different formats,
including audio and video from the Web. The Sony Soloist only plays .wav
files, so it would be limited to whatever we prepared specifically for use
in the lab. I feel that being able to capture and replay Web materials would
be just a huge step ahead.
Eventually I think we would have Divace Duo in the classroom, Divace Solo on
"library" computers, and Divace Lite as a recommendation for students as a
home-use recorder.
Am I dreaming the wrong dream? Has anybody been using Divace with Web materials?

Judy Shoaf
University of Florida