LLTI Archives

October 2000, Week 1

From:
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 08:07:55 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from George Mitrevski <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 17:00:20 -0500
>Sender: George Mitrevski <[log in to unmask]>
>From: George Mitrevski <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Digitized audio

------------------
Hi folks.

I was following the recent discussion about digitizing audio and setting up
servers for audio files. I am wondering, though, what the benefits are of
digitizing publishers audio tapes, other than the ease of access. How
pedagogically sound is it for a student to work with an audio file that may be
30-45 minutes long, and may cover an entire chapter's worth of topics? Like
many of you, I too have digitizes all of my audio tapes. But in addition, I
cut the content of each tape/audio file down to the specific exercise level,
or down to a sentence level, and even down to the single word level. So, I
have accumulated approximately 1,500 audio files, and the list is growing. I
use, and re-use, these files for a variety of JavaScript exercises with
embedded audio. Currently I'm working on crossword puzzles, where I provide
audio clues, instead of the standard text clues. My next project is to develop
similar types of exercises with embedded Windows media video.

You can see some samples, as well as read tutorials on how it is done, at

www.auburn.edu/~mitrege/knowledge/index.html

George.

Dr. George Mitrevski        office: 334-844-6376
Foreign Languages              fax: 334-844-6378
6030 Haley Center           e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Auburn University        voicemail: 435-806-7037
Auburn, AL 36849-5204

Web: http://www.auburn.edu/~mitrege/
Buy my used books in Macedonian, Russian and other Slavic languages:
http://semiology.safeshopper.com/