LLTI Archives

October 2000, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 08:12:17 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Lynne Crandall <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 08:25:50 -0400
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum             <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Lynne Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Cheng & Tsui Pricing

------------------ I certainly was not suggesting that IALL boycott any publication, and hope
my earlier post was not construed as such! The adoption of instructional
materials, or an instructional package, is an important decision that must
consider many factors.  The match to curricular objectives, teaching style
and learner needs are critical, and should be the first considerations.
However, if the materials are not acccessible to students for regular and
convenient study, due to cost or the funding ability of the institution,
will the materials still meet curricular objectives?

The situation I related was one in which the publisher initially refused any
duplication license, insisting rather that all tapesets be purchased
individually. Although the materials were wonderful, that scenario would
have made their aquisition prohibitive for students, and impossible for us
to underwrite.  The instructor for the course was aghast because the
inability of students to have ready access (at home) would render the
materials less desirable.  In that scenario the text would have been dropped
because it would not have met instructional needs.  The publisher, however,
was willing to negotiate because they wanted to keep the adoption.  For some
institutions money is not an object and they are fortunate!  For most,
especially the labs and centers supporting language instruction, funding is
a huge factor.

I agree with Harold that we must be dispassionate and work with our material
providers as best we can to serve the needs of students. We must be
frank with our faculty about the ramifications of expensive adoptions and
instructional materials, and communicate with the publishers or distributors
of materials we want to use about the impact of pricing structures  or terms
(this includes good news, too!).

I think it comes down to priorities.  If the materials are the best fit and
the conditions of use are agreeable, then it is worth the asking price.  One
wouldn't substitute say, zinc for oxygen in a chem lab, no?  But the match
must be the right or best match.  And if it isn't, especially if it is due
only to use restrictions or cost, then we must let our providers know!  If
we don't tell them, who will? --Lynne

--- Excerpt: