LLTI Archives

September 2000, Week 5

From:
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 08:04:12 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Peter A. Schultz" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 12:14:46 -0500
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: "Peter A. Schultz" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Audio files for Windows (Freeware)

28. September 2000

Dear Members:

At the start of 1999, a discussion was conducted about audio file software
for Windows, and Iomega's RecordIt Software and CoolEdit were mentioned as
"good"programs in which one would record, playback a sound and had the
ability to compress the file size.  Trouble is, these programs cost money.

I'd like to know if there is software out there that is freeware and allows
one to perform all three functions above with audio files.   For the
Macintosh, I have used Sound Recorder, which was free and could do all
these functions, but finding the same software for Windows has been tougher.

I would appreciate any feedback you may have on this subject.

Peter Schultz
Rice University

Peter A. Schultz
Language Technology Consultant