LLTI Archives

September 2000, Week 4

From:
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 09:56:06 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] (Gordon Hartig) ---

>Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 10:31:40 -0400
>Subject: Suggestions for good ESL software to purchase?
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: [log in to unmask] (Gordon Hartig)

        The last of our old Macs have been removed from my lab, and along with
them the language-learning software that our students and faculty have
relied on in the past.
        Our primary need at this point is self-contained software (requiring no
books or other ancillary materials) for our new PCs that will meet the
needs of our ESL population in one or more of these areas: English
grammar, reading development, learning English vocabulary from context,
TOEFL preparation, and English idioms.  We also hope to buy grammar
software for students who are learning Spanish as a foreign language.
        If any of you have used software that you feel is particularly good in
terms of pedagogy, could you please provide me with the title and vendor
info?  The new PCs run Windows 98.  The college uses NT as our networking
software, and it is possible that Nt Workstation could be installed in our
labs in the future as the operating system.  So any specific warnings
about NT compatibility would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Gordon Hartig
Language Lab Coordinator
Middlesex Community College
33 Kearney Square