LLTI Archives

September 2000, Week 4

From:
Date:
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 09:13:14 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Ron Bergmann" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: 21 Sep 00 09:41:49 -0700
>From: "Ron Bergmann" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5703.7 Windows NT (!)
>To: Learning and Technology Interna <[log in to unmask]>,        LLTI <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
         Reply to:   Re: #5703.7 Windows NT (!)
WinNT,

One thing that is very important in the NT area is the installation of the latest service packs.... you can go to the Windows web site to obtain these free of charge.

Also, since the advent of Win 2000 Pro, it is reasonable that companies would be developing toward that platform.  Win2000 uses many of the features of NT but incorporates the ease of 98....

NT does run Dos applications in separate memory spaces called NTVDMs or NT virtual dos machines... right click on the task bar to see what is operating at which priority...

Hope this helps...

Ron Bergmann Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer

LLTI-Editor wrote:
>--- Forwarded Message from "Tracy N. Dingess" <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
>>From: "Tracy N. Dingess" <[log in to unmask]>
>>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"    ><[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject: RE: #5703 Windows NT
>>Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 09:13:17 -0400
>
>------------------
>Hi Janel,
>
>The most efficient method for testing your software is to invest in a copy
>of WinNT workstation software for evaluation purposes.  You can obtain an
>upgrade for your current (if appropriate) Win version very inexpensively.
>
>If you possess the workstations that will be running the software in your
>converted lab, then install the new operating system on one of them and
>install all your language programs.
>
>See what will run and what won't. You then are able to contact the publisher
>whose software is causing problems.
>
>If this WinNT OS will be on machines you don't yet possess, then try to get
>one pronto!  Install the OS and the language software.  That is the only
>true way to learn your conflicts before you put the new lab together.
>
>When I did an upgrade to our new OS, many publishers assured me that their
>software was completely compatible.  I still had to eat the cost of several
>programs.  You may as well save time and trouble, buy one of the machines
>you want to use, get an upgrade or full version of the OS and go to it.
>
>Be aware of the software which makes DOS type calls on the system, runs in
>DOS mode.  Win NT will support this fine, but you need to install the OS/Win
>NT with the instructions to allow DOS programs to run.  You also have to
>make sure that the user/student working at the workstation has permission to
>read and write to the directory the particular language software may want to
>write out-put, data any form of record or information to.
>
>Tracy.

Ronald Bergmann Technical Services Manager
CSU Strategic Languages Initiative
562.951.4748 (office)
562.833.1192 (mobile)