LLTI Archives

September 2000, Week 4

From:
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 08:12:12 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Steve & Laura Spinella <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 14:32:11 +0800
>From: Steve & Laura Spinella <[log in to unmask]>
>To: LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5694 Cheng-Tsui Pricing: Alternatives

I have been following with interest the discussion, and can certainly
see both sides.  However, the digital era also gives us new
possibilities.  For instance, as director of a small staff of native
Chinese speakers, most also with Master's degrees from the US, the
recording of digital material in standard Chinese is rather simple, and
also very cheap.  We all know who has clear, standard, and appropriate
recordable voices.  Now if you want a famous TV personality, that might
cost more, eh?  I am sure there are many others in similar situations.

Years ago, when I visited the CALL project of the federal government in
northern Virginia, their technical director told me the same thing--it
was easier for him to get adequate digital sound from his own Mac
recording in a conference room than using expense sound reproduction
equipment at very high prices.

So if you don't want to pay licensing fees anymore, then by all means
please create and distribute things freely!  If you need authentic and
clear mandarin Chinese, but can't get it locally, we or many others can
help.  After all, it may be a less commonly taught language in the US,
but it is still the world's most commonly spoken native tongue, right?

Steve, surrounded by millions of LCTL (mandarin) native speakers

> >From: "Daniel E. Meyers"
> >Subject: Re: #5694 Cheng-Tsui Pricing
> ...We had the same situation with Cheng-Tsui, only they wanted to charge
> us $563 for using the lab tapes! I think that they just don't get the
> idea of what competitive marketing really is. The GREAL department
> here has contemplated many times whether or not to switch books
> because of their outrageous pricing policies.--

Dr. Steve Spinella
Ta Yi Street, Lane 29, #18, 2F-1
Taichung 404, TAIWAN
886 4 236-6145, of 236-1901, fx 236-2109, USA 1 719 528-1702
<http://www.team.org.tw/ccg> <http://www.team.org.tw/spinella>