LLTI Archives

September 2000, Week 4

From:
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 08:12:01 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Judi Franz <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 08:39:41 -0700
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Judi Franz <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5725 multi-standard dvd players

------------------
Thanks to everyone for their replies on and off the list!

Since I thought that the DVD players were all I needed, I don't have
enough $$ in the budget to purchase either PAL monitors or signal
converters. Carmen Greenlee came to my rescue yesterday on the phone
to tell me about a unit she had purchased which reads all region
codes as well as PAL and NTSC and outputs everything to NTSC. Best of
all, they are about half the price of the other ones I had purchased,
so I can buy more of them! She told me she had 6 of them up and
running beautifully in her lab.

Here's the info:

The company is I.N.C. Technologies in Hollywood. Website is
http://www.inc-tech.com (***warning - you cannot complete a purchase
if you access their website on a Mac computer due to java issues; to
purchase online, find a PC). They accept credit cards (at UCI we use
campus-issued MasterCards which are linked to our departmental
accounts) and are super-friendly on the phone. Talk to Gail.

Phone number (323) 512-8730. I purchased 5 of the Infinity DVD model
LD-2060 for $269.00 each plus $25 shipping (for all 5 - I am just 40
miles south of LA so folks further away should expect a larger
shipping charge). Expecting my shipment either Friday or Monday. They
had 3 units in stock but more are coming in on Thursday so I told
them to wait and send my whole order at once.

The 2060 model does everything I want - they have a new 2080 coming
out in a month or so which adds a karaoke feature. I think that may
be fun in language classes, but I opted not to wait.

Hope that is helpful to others in the same quandary, and thanks again
to everyone!

Judi