LLTI Archives

September 2000, Week 4

From:
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 08:11:58 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Harold Hendricks <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 15:47:50 -0600
>From: Harold Hendricks <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Cheng & Tsui Pricing
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
I would like to address the recent discussion on pricing by Cheng & Tsui
and verify what Jill Cheng wrote about Asian publication prices.  Over
the years we have dealt with a number of publishers from Japan, Hong
Kong, and China, seeking permission to use audio materials to accompany
text books.  In every case we were told the only option was to buy the
student cassettes at full retail and no permission to copy was ever
granted.  We adopted Integrated Chinese the first year it bacame
available, and although we knew from past experience with Cheng & Tsui
that their policies were different from the major textbook publishers,
we at least were relieved to find out they did have a duplication
license.  Based on the number of students who use the text here, the
amortized cost was not that unreasonable.  I realize that for schools
with very small numbers the cost is great, espeically when, as Read
stated, it is a surprise textbook change, as so often happens to all of
us at the beginning of the school year.

I think we should think for a moment and realize that an eight-person
company can't play the game like the multi-national textbook companies
that we are used to dealing with for Spanish, French, German, Italian,
and that Cheng & Tsui's "third way" is a reasonable approach developed
in consultation with several IALL members.  I'm sure there could be
adjustments made to it, but at this point all we have succeeded in doing
is causing them to halt all licenses and seriously consider dropping all
duplication rights.  So if you are wondering why I'm defending Cheng &
Tsui, it is because I have always had a good working relationship with
them and the impact of losing duplication permissions will be a
tremendous blow to our 450 Chinese students.  I have spoken with our
faculty who know Jill Cheng personally.  They are surprised at the LLTI
response to someone who they consider to be an extremely reasonable
person who has done a tremendous service to their discipline.

Daniel Tom wrote that he will let Ted Yao know about the controversy.
It's too late.  Ted believes that IALL is boycotting his textbook based
on one of the messages sent to this listserv.  I hope no such boycott is
seriously being considered.

My hope is that we will not let emotion get the better of us to the
detriment of our programs and students.
--
Harold H. Hendricks