LLTI Archives

September 2000, Week 3

From:
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 08:47:19 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Rachel Saury <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 09:30:11 -0400
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Rachel Saury <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5694 Cheng-Tsui Pricing

------------------
We have dealth with Cheng & Tsui and have been very disappointed with their
rates and their willingness to accomodate the digital use of their
materials.  We have had to pay them a hefty site license price to make
their materials available in the lab to students.  They also put up road
blocks to some of their materials being digitized at all, nor do they allow
students to dub take-home tapes.  I wrote them a letter a year ago
suggesting that they get their policies in line with what is now standard
practice among publishers vis-a-vis language labs, but to no avail.  I
don't know what the solution is, however, except concerted pressure on them
from many quarters.

Rachel