LLTI Archives

September 2000, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 08:36:45 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Tracy N. Dingess" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Tracy N. Dingess" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"    <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: #5703 Windows NT
>Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 09:13:17 -0400

------------------
Hi Janel,

The most efficient method for testing your software is to invest in a copy
of WinNT workstation software for evaluation purposes.  You can obtain an
upgrade for your current (if appropriate) Win version very inexpensively.

If you possess the workstations that will be running the software in your
converted lab, then install the new operating system on one of them and
install all your language programs.

See what will run and what won't. You then are able to contact the publisher
whose software is causing problems.

If this WinNT OS will be on machines you don't yet possess, then try to get
one pronto!  Install the OS and the language software.  That is the only
true way to learn your conflicts before you put the new lab together.

When I did an upgrade to our new OS, many publishers assured me that their
software was completely compatible.  I still had to eat the cost of several
programs.  You may as well save time and trouble, buy one of the machines
you want to use, get an upgrade or full version of the OS and go to it.

Be aware of the software which makes DOS type calls on the system, runs in
DOS mode.  Win NT will support this fine, but you need to install the OS/Win
NT with the instructions to allow DOS programs to run.  You also have to
make sure that the user/student working at the workstation has permission to
read and write to the directory the particular language software may want to
write out-put, data any form of record or information to.

Tracy.