LLTI Archives

September 2000, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 08:36:31 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Patrick Davis" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Return-Receipt-To: "Patrick Davis" <[log in to unmask]>
>From: "Patrick Davis" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "'Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum'"    <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: #5707 software for video and audio processing on PCs
>Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 10:34:41 -0300
>Disposition-Notification-To: "Patrick Davis" <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
This summer we started experimenting with some interesting hardware and
software -

we used two option - one was an AMD Athalon 750 mhz based machine and the
other was a Mac G4

both used firewire to capture the digital video from a Sony Digital 8 camera
(very nice, and not too expensive it uses hi-8 tapes to capture digital
video but will also play regular hi-8 and capture to the computer and it has
pass through plugs which will allow vhs or svhs to pass through to the
computer as well - very nice little machine)

using a firewire card/ieee1394 card you can capture video directly from the
camera to the hard drive.  We are using a pyro card in the pc and it works
great.  It cost about $100 cd ($75 us) and came with the video editing
software.  The Mac came with the firewire card built in.  Since digital
video is the way of the future I would not buy an card to capture analog
video unless you really have to.  The digital video is much better quality
and you can use the sony camera to automatically convert the signal from
analog to digital.

Since 20 minutes of full ntsc video takes 4 Gig of hd space you will need a
fairly large hard drive.  at least 20 gig.  It may be scsi if you have it,
but a udma 66 hard drive with a motherboard or card that supports it is fast
enough that you will not drop frames (lose bits of audio and video).  Both
the mac and the pc were using  udma 66 20 gig hard drives.  As usual we
could have used more hard drive space.

You will need ample ram and a fairly fast processor to handle the work
required to view, edit, add transitions etc.  As i mentioned the PC was a
750 mhz processor and the Mac was a 500 mhz G4.   The pc had 128mb of ram
and the mac 256.  i believe that you should have at least a 500 mhz process
is using a pc since there is a huge difference in the processing power
between the 500mhz and 750 mhz machines that I was using.

The software for the pc came with the pyro card - video studio 4 and media
studio 6 (both made by Ulead - www.ulead.com). The video studio software is
more of a consumer version and to to be honest I really did not care for it.
I had never used a video editing program before, but found the more advanced
Media Studio 6 to be easier to use.  Media Studio also has a sound editing
component.On the G4 we used Imovie 1 and 2.  They are free downloads.  For
Pc users the new Windows ME comes with a free video editor.  I have not had
a chance to try it yet.

the mac user really preffered the mac and imovie to the PC and Media Studio
Pro.

Today's anchordesk newsletter has some stuff on digital video

_______
DIGITAL VIDEO MAKES THE WEB WATCHABLE

http://cgi.zdnet.com/slink?/adeskb/adt0920/2630103:2607014

   If you're considering adding video to your Web site,
   you'll want to see what product guy Bill Machrone
   has to say about the latest equipment.

_____

I hope you find this helpful.  Please excuse the typos, spelling etc as I
just typed the message off fairly quickly.

Sincerely,

Pat Davis

Patrick Davis, General Manager
Study Abroad Canada, Charlottetown Prince Edward Island
Programs include: ESL, High School Program, TESL Certificate, MA TESL/TEFL
[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>    http://www.eccl.ca
A proud member of the Canada Wide English Network
http://www.canadawide-english.com