LLTI Archives

September 2000, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 08:36:30 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Pat Miller <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 11:20:29 -0700
>From: Pat Miller <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum     <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5703 Windows NT

------------------
Hi Janel,

I have been running a WinNT system for the past 3 years here at CSUN.  Indeed software companies tell us
often that their software will be compatible with the NT platform.  The reality is otherwise.  In order for
software to run well on NT it must be written in 32 bit technology,  mush of the older software however is
only available in 16 bit and, thus, though the publishers tell us it will run nonetheless,  we find that it
will often glitch.  We have some of the same programs you have listed and the compatibility is hit or miss.
For our Japanese courses we have had to dual boot our machines so that they will run as both an NT and a
Win95 (we found this to be the most stable for those programs).  Service pack 5 has been added to our NT
system to comply with Y2K standards and, so far, this has not caused additional glitches.

Hope this helps.  Good luck

Pat Miller