LLTI Archives

September 2000, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 08:36:13 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Greg Dabelstein" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Greg Dabelstein" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"    <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: #5705 Inquiry: Lang Lab possibilities?
>Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 05:56:42 +1000

------------------
Hello all

In 1995 we did a similar thing to that which you propose at my school.
I would make the following suggestions....

1. Make sure you have control or know exactly what computer system
/operating system will be used ...This is particulalrly important if you are
not responsible for the actual purchasing/installation for the computers. I
had been collecting software before ours was installed expecting Win95 to be
used ...and when they were insatlled I discovered the computer technicians
had used Win NT which caused all sorts of problems.

2. Ensure that you get some sort of commitment from your superiors regarding
a budget for software and hardware in following years (We have been lucky
enough to have a 3 year turnover on all hardware and good budget for
software each year)

3. you may like to examine the actual layout of the room too....this may be
important if you intend to do some normal lecturing or even just speaking to
students while they are in the room.

4. make sure your staff are fully behind the project and are aware that
having the computer room will not lessen there workload..just give them
another tool/ resource which they can use with their students. They will
still need to create tasks etc ...

Just a few ideas ....good luck with your project.