LLTI Archives

September 2000, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 08:36:05 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Anthony J Niesz <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 10:22:42 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Anthony J Niesz <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: #5707 software for video and audio processing on PCs

Dear Otmar:

For digital video processing on the PC I like to use Adobe Premiere (very similar to the Mac version) and Media Cleaner (also very similar to the Mac).  One might also go with the U-Lead video editing software if the cost of Adobe Premiere is too high.  For sound editing I like to use Cool Edit (shareware from www.syntrillium.com), which I actually like better than Sound Edit on the Mac.  Media Cleaner will take care of all compression needs, though I also use a very nice shareware program by Opticom to do Fraunhofer encoding of .mp3 files.

I have seen IEEE-1394 boards with U-Lead video editing software for less than $100.  You simply hook up your VHS VCR to your digital video camera, digitize the video, then upload it to the hard disk via IEEE-1394 ("firewire" cable) for editing, and later compression.  The whole thing has become extremely cheap and effective.  I still prefer the Sorenson codec add-on to Media Cleaner for digital video compression, though before I did that I just used the free Cinepak codec, which worked too.  I mostly use Quicktime for Windows for the video, though I used to use Real Producer to do video and audio.

All that being said:  I prefer to work on the Mac for video, but on the PC for audio, but have done both kinds of work on both platforms.

It is a great time to be working with digital video!

Regards,
Tony Niesz
Yale University