LLTI Archives

September 2000, Week 3

From:
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 08:47:04 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Jean-Jacques d'Aquin" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 12:28:28 -0500 (Central Daylight Time)
>From: "Jean-Jacques d'Aquin" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5693 Interview transcription analysis software?

------------------
I assume you mean software to help with the analysis of text (not sound),
since you are dealing with Word.

QSR*NUDIST (Non-Numerical Unstructured Data Indexing Searching and
Theorizing), is produced by Qualitative Solutions and Research Pty. Ltd.
of Australia (www.qsr.com.au). In the Americas it is available from
SCOLARI, a Sage Publications division out of California (Tel:
805-499-1325; www.sagepub.com/).

NUDIST helps users to manage, explore and search the text of documents;
manage and explore ideas about the data; link ideas and construct theories
about the data; test theories about the data, and generate reports
including statistical summaries.  It allows for the importing of graphics,
photos, and moving pictures.

It is considered to be among the very best of qualitative analysis
software.  It is not cheap.  The learning curve is steep in order to make
use of everything it offers.  It will readily accept your Word files (as
well as SPSS statistical analysis) for coding, so you haven't wasted any
time or effort already spent in transcribing.

Good luck!

Jean-Jacques d'Aquin, Language Lab Director
University of South Alabama, HUMB-322, Mobile, AL 36688
VOX 334-460-6291 FAX 334-460-7123