LLTI Archives

September 2000, Week 3

From:
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 08:47:03 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Daniel E. Meyers" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 13:38:12 -0400
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum     <[log in to unmask]>
>From: "Daniel E. Meyers" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5694 Cheng-Tsui Pricing

------------------
Hi Read and Others:

We had the same situation with Cheng-Tsui, only they wanted to charge
us $563 for using the lab tapes! I think that they just don't get the
idea of what competitive marketing really is. The GREAL department
here has contemplated many times whether or not to switch books
because of their outrageous pricing policies.

In talking with their marketing director, it seems that profit was
the big motivator. After several attempts to ask them why they were
charging so much for so little, they quoted me the typical "price
meets demand" scenario. They didn't seem at all concerned with
academic budgets or allowing students to use their products to
actually learn Chinese.

In short, I am, have been, and probably always will be disappointed
with Cheng-Tsui until they come to their senses. Until they change
their minds, I'm inclined to let the Chinese professors make their
own audio tape exercises using the models and examples from the
publisher's tapes.

Daniel E. Meyers - Director of the Interactive Language Resource Center
47 Irvin Hall, Miami University, Oxford, Ohio 45056-1848
Office: (513) 529-2510  -  Lab: (513) 529-4505  -  Fax: (513) 529-1807
Pager: (513) 820-0219 - ICQ: 61294172 - E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
WWW: http://www.cas.muohio.edu/~ilrc/